Koolio is a traveling autonomous refrigerator robot -- Picture a cross between R2D2 and a vending machine. It is designed for use on the 3rd floor of Benton Hall at the University of Florida . This floors houses the Machine Intelligence Lab (MIL) as well class rooms and professor’s offices. Around here professors are always working diligently in their office and sometimes can’t even find the time to get up and get a drink. Now they don’t have to worry. Here is the sequence of event.
- Dr. Nechyba is in an important meeting with a future client and has a sudden urge for a Diet Coke.
- He logs on to the network and tells Koolio that he would like a Diet Coke.
- Koolio receives this signal through its wireless card and determines the room number needed.
- It leaves its docking station at the MIL lab and proceeds to the hallway.
- It navigates the hall way with a verity of instrument
- Sonar for accurate long distance coverage.
- IR for close obstacle avoidance.
- Shaft encoding for accurate navigation once location is determined.
- Web cameras for reading room numbers off the wall.
- It locates room 326 and delivers Dr. Nechyba his Diet Coke thus averting disaster.
- It leaves the room and returns to its docking station to recharge and wait for the next call.
Although Koolio is initially designed for Benton Hall it could be applied in an any office, school, or even your own home. It is completely autonomous and has numerous sensors to accommodate even the trickiest environments. Imagine watching a movie with someone and you get thirsty. It is an inconvenience to everyone watching the movie to stop the movie, but at the same time you don’t want to miss anything important. Koolio could solve your problem. Or say you are watching a boxing match with your buddies and need another beer. Instead of missing that knock out punch Koolio could deliver you, and all your friends, beer all night long. You have this luxury 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Find a human to do that.