- You don't have to be a genius,or a visionary,or even a college graduate to think unconventionally.You just need a framework and a dream.
- Dell has developed its most critical competitive advantage:becoming a virtually integrated organization.
- I also learned that if you've got a good idea,it pays to do something aboutit.
- Sometimes it's better not to ask - or to listen - when people tell you something can't be done. I didn't ask for permission or approval. I just went ahead and did it.
- Of course,performance and time to market are huge differentiators, and highlighted the efficiency of what we were doing.
- We had to do something dramatically different. 1986
- Its always been our nature to think about what is possible and what is achievable, and set stretch goals accordingly.
- ...the goal was realistic. All we had to do was figure out how to achieve it.
- "thinking unconventionally" and " not listening to people who tell you something can't be done"
- The lesson is: Believe in what you're doing. If you've got an idea that's really powerful, you've just got to ignore the people who tell you it won't work, and hire people who embrace your vision.
- It's fun to do things that people don't think are possible or likely. It's also exciting to achieve the unexpected.Our competitors didn't consider us a threat for a long time,providing us with even a greater oppurtunity to surprise them with our success.
- Finally,we learned to be oppurtunistic.
- We would soon be faced with challenges that would threaten the very existence of our company.
- To our stunned disbelief, we had quickly become known as a company with the inventory problem.
- We weren't then - and we certainly aren't now - in the business of convincing people to buy something they did'nt want,so we canceled Olympic before it ever saw the light of the day, and admitted we made a mistake.We had gone ahead and created a product that was,for all intents and purposes,technology for technology's sake,rather than technology for the customer's sake.
- And it's incredibly gratifying to watch a brilliant technologist grow to understand all aspects of the way our business works.
- It's not like there are sirens going off or people running through the hallways saying "You're growing too fast!Stop!" In fact,while it's happening,it seems to happen in slow motion.
- We knew there was such a thing as growing too fast,but we also knew that if we did'nt do it,we might not live to tell about it.
- We were making decisions based on emotions and opinions. In leadership, it's important to be intuitive,but not at the expense of facts.
- Facts are your friend.
- A company's success should always be defined by its strategy and its ideas - and it should not be limited by the abilities of the people who are running it.
- Plan or Die
- Data is the engine that keeps us on track.
- I would rather overkill a great idea than underexploit it.
- Even if something seems to be working, it can always be improved.
- Today's leaders are voracious learners.
- If something can be improved,someone will figure out a way to do it. No matter what your business, that someone had better be you.
- It comes from being willing to follow our convictions.It comes from an innate fascination with eliminating unneccessary steps.
Thursday, April 08, 2004
Strategies that revolutionized an Industry
In brief Hard Work , and here' what Michael Dell says:
These were...Direct from Dell